Sunday, February 11, 2018

ENTRY 2: INTERVIEW WITH JASON PHAM

Blog Entry 

Watch my interview here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PADTLtFN_EUKw5dxUDoNLxAxFqzAto6w/view?usp=sharing



Jason is my friend for about 6 years already. We first meet at Vietnamese Community Sunday Church. We are both sharing the same native language, Vietnamese, so most of the time we are communicate in Vietnamese. “Nationwide, ELLs make up about 10% of the total population, and the number of ELLs is growing rapidly throughout the country” (Wright, 2015, p. 24) and Jason is one of them.
Jason enrolled in ESL classes and star learning English at 16, 9th grader. Although it was not mentioned in the interview, I know that Jason supposed to enroll in 11th grade since he finished 10th grade in Viet Nam. His parents were the one makes decision because they think he don’t have enough ability and know enough English to be able to follow with the curriculum. According to Wright (2015), “Young school-age children often have greater motivation, pressure, needs, and opportunities to develop second language proficiency than adults” (p. 50). He agrees with me that learning a second language at young ages is better and easier than older age.
Jason left the ESL program after one year. I was so happy to know that his teacher was patient with him and explain to him the benefits of move to regular classroom is better for him after one year in ESL. According to Wright (2015), teacher should encourage ELLs to maintain and develop their home languages while they develop proficiency in English” (p. 23). It’s great for Jason to using two languages and fluent in his native language while learning English as a second language.
My last connection is about Jason’s struggles. According to Wright (2015), knowing a language means being able to use it to communicate effectively and appropriately with other speakers of the language” (p.36). He got a hard time to understand the teachers and communicate with other students to make friends. It’s very important and necessary for teacher to have a strong understanding about student’s struggles and able to help them learning their second language.
Reference
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Quynh. I enjoyed watching your interview with Jason. I'm glad to know that his teacher was there to help him and provide him everything he needs to improve his English Language Skills. And I do agree with him that learning a second language is a lot easier at a younger age. Wright (2010) did say that children at the age of 5 (assuming no cognitive or developmental disorders) will fully developed language system. Young children imitate the speech they hear around them, and adults positively reinforce their meaningful utterances, helping them develop habits of correct speech (Wright, 2010, pg. 36). Another thing to mention is that teachers organize their programs and practices to help students adjust to every practices, the system of values and beliefs, and the means and manners of communication at schoola dn in society (Wright, 2010, pg. 25). This is what Jason's teacher did to help him to adjust to the new culture and new language.

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle! According to Wright (2010) page 60, teachers share responsibility for helping Ells develop their proficiency in English and their ability to use oral and written English for academic purposes across content areas. I think teachers’ corporation together to build a strong support for ELLs is very important and effective to ELLs students academic. What do you think about that?

      Delete
    2. Hi Quynh! Yes, I do think that corporation between teachers are important to build a strong support system for ELLs, because they need to decided what's best for all ELL students and observe them based on their proficiency levels and what they need to improve their new language skills. It can be difficult to decide and a lot of research and resources are needed, but at least there are ways to help out the ELL students by working together as teachers.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your interview with Jason! It makes me sad that Jason struggled when first coming into the English classroom. I cannot imagine how difficult it is going into a classroom as an older student and not knowing the language. I am glad that he had a teacher who would keep working with him to make sure he understands and also a teacher with patience. I think it is important to take these small things into consideration. Jason shared that he watches television and listen to English music to practice his English, which is amazing! Jason also shared that interactions with others is what he found most important. According to Wright (2015), researchers have argued that interaction is essential for SLA to occur, and thus they have studied the ways in which speakers modify their speech and their interaction patterns to help learners participate in conversation (p. 53). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genesis! Thank you for watching my interview video and leave a comment. I think facing difficulties when start learning a new language is unavoidable but the important is how we overcome these obstacles. Wright (2010) has mentioned “People acquire second languages only if they obtain comprehensible input and if their affective filters are low enough to allow the input “in”” (Wright 2010, pg. 52). What do you think about this?

      Delete
  3. Hello Quynh,

    Great interview with Jason! Jason mentioned that a struggle that he faced as an English language learner was that he felt alone since his peers spoke a different language. I couldn’t help but think that perhaps his teacher could have used the pair strategy to help him more comfortable. According to Wright, (2015, p. 306) teachers can arrange for lower ELL’s to partner with higher level ELL’s or fluent bilingual students who can help guide them through the required tasks. Do you think that perhaps that strategy could have helped Jason? Thanks for sharing your interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yerali! I’m totally agreeing with you and Wright’s opinion about allow students to help each other, “teacher can arrange for lower-level ELLs to partner with higher-level ELLs or fluent bilingual students who can help guide them through the required tasks” (Wright (2010), pg. 306). I think it’s very helpful in Jason’s case and my ELLs students. In my student teaching class, I had seen a fluent bilingual student who help, explain and guide her friend (low-level ELLs). And I know her friend was receiving benefit since I seen she finished her assignment during class.

      Delete