Tuesday, January 23, 2018

ENTRY 1: SELF INTRODUCTION


Hello everyone- xin chào tất cả mọi người. My name is Quynh Ninh. I am a senior at University of Houston- College of Education and my major is Teaching and Learning. Since childhood, my dream is becoming a teacher and right now my dream is about come true.

10 comments:

  1. In your future classroom, especially if you are going to be teaching in the Houston area, you are bound to have English language learners, and I agree that you will be able to empathize with your students because you have endured similar experiences. You will be able to enter your classroom with an arsenal of teaching strategies you are acquiring now, and that are backed with personal experiences. Although according to our text, “Schools serving poor, minority, and ELLs usually have the least experienced teachers and the fewest resources” (Wright, 2015, p. 14). I was astounded reading this in Chapter 1 because when I think about ELLs I know that they are capable of great academic success. However, without the proper resources and if schools lack teachers who are knowledgeable about diverse student needs and their content areas, these students may not reach the highest levels of academic achievement we want them to reach. How do you plan to meet the needs of your ELLs? What would you bring to your school if you decided to teach where the resources are limited? Is there a specific area in the realm of Second Language Methodology you would like to learn about in this course that you believe will help you as an educator?
    Reference:
    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie. The first thing that I will do is prepare an effective lesson plan. I would like to know my ELLs students stages of English proficiency and literacy then create lesson plan depending on their levels. My lesson should include building from prior knowledge, explicit instruction, guiding practice, peer practice and some type of assessment to address students understanding of the lesson content.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for asking me about limited resources, I think teaching is not easy and teach somewhere with limited classroom resources is tough. I will download some textbooks and resources before I go. Hopefully I have enough to use. I will buy some white boards so that I can teach everywhere. I am also would like to ask my friends from other schools that can share some resources with me and my class. I hope it can help the situation.

      Delete
  2. Hello Quynh
    My name is Lori, I enjoyed watching your video. I always want to become a teacher since childhood and I know how exciting is to accomplish our dream position. According to Wright “Teacher also need to know their student’s cultural background and how culture influence learning at school” (pg.17) I think is really nice that you can speak two languages and also has the experience being an ELL student, this can help you make a good connection with your students. As a future teacher, we need do our best to help our student out. I wish you the best luck to become an awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lori, nice to meet you!
      I am agreeing with you point of view. "These below-the-surface aspects of the home culture may differ from or even be in conflict with aspects of the dominant culture that are privileged in the schools" (Wright, p.17). For example, the Chinese and Vietnamese New Year is coming up; in my country students have 2 weeks holiday, we have many traditional activities and time to travel. But in US. schools, we are still having classes and nothing different than the other days. It's might be a big impact to Asian ELLs students who just move to a new environment.

      Delete
  3. Hi Quynh!
    I really enjoyed learning about you and your experiences with learning English as a second language and teaching opportunities. According to Wright (2015), it is important for teachers to know about their students' cultural backgrounds and how that influences their learning in school. I think this is a very important thing that is often forgotten in classrooms today. You mentioned being an ELL student yourself and it's so amazing how you will be able to connect with your ELL students in a more personal way that many of us will not be able to. It was so sweet hearing about you giving back to your Vietnamese community and teaching those students. You are surely a great role model for them as you have been where they are. Teachers like you are so essential because ELL students are only increasing and even surpassing the non- ELL populations (Wright, 2015). Having lived that life and went through those experiences, I believe, have only made you a stronger and more passionate teacher! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farah,
      Thank you for your comments. I’m agreeing with your opinions. As you know Houston is a very diversity city. According to Wright (2015), educators who work with ELLs must be aware of the linguistic diversity in their schools and surrounding communities. What do you think about having a campaign about unique in school? Would if help to create a good environment for ELLs students?

      Delete
    2. That is so interesting to bring up! I think that will be a great to help diverse students feel more comfortable in the classroom but also create a school community that allows each student to respect and accept each other despite their diverse backgrounds! That would be something I would love to work on in my future school!

      Delete
    3. According to Wright, (2015, p.13) “the majority of ELLs are ethnic minorities from low-income families.” I think many of these students do not receive enough attention from their parents about their education and have limited access to resources as well. Do you think this is a huge challenge for teachers and educators?

      Delete